The gate located at the northeastern corner of the square has been a functioning gate of the town since the Middle Ages, at which time it was known as the Porta Sabbati (Saturday Gate). The plan of the ruined medieval gate can only be pieced together from layouts dating back to the Baroque and the end of the Turkish era. The junction point of the different wall sections formed a bay, at the inner end of which a tower was erected. The gate itself opened through the ground floor of the tower. The original gate was replaced by a new one in 1723, and was in use until 1849. In 1850, a new gate was built which was pulled down for the millenary festival in 1896. Finally in 1936, at the 250th anniversary of the re-occupation of Buda from the Turks, a similar gate to the latter destroyed one was set in place that has been standing in almost the same form since that time. This was also the time when the memorials dedicated to the reoccupation were erected on both sides of the gate: a statue of an angel on the left-hand side and a tablet and a wick on the right.