The establishment of the Lutheran congregation of Buda in 1844 can be attributed to Maria Dorottya, who was the Lutheran wife of Palatine Joseph. The first Lutheran church and school were built on Dísz tér (Parade Square) and were consecrated in 1847. Both buildings were pulled down at the beginning of the 1890's and replaced with the building of the Army Headquarters. A new church, school and vicarage were built on the southern side of Vienna Gate square on a site where various buildings stood earlier. The new Lutheran buildings were inaugurated in 1895.
The church is constructed in Eclectic style with hint of neo-Baroque. The frontage is typically Baroque. It has a narrow and tall quadrangle central tower and its spire is divided into three sections by cornices which is also a characteristic feature of the Baroque. The interior is barrel vaulted and there are two galleries above the entrance: one for the organ and the choir, and another for the congregation. The neo-Classical altar used to be in the ancient church.
The school and the vicarage were completely destroyed during the siege of Budapest and the church was also badly damaged: the altarpiece, the organ and all the furnishing were destroyed. The church was re-built and consecrated in 1948. While its external features were restored in the original neo-Baroque style, the interior of the church was significantly simplified. A huge wooden cross is placed behind the altar. The mosaic glass-window evoking the rays of the rising sun was made in 1995 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the construction of the church.
On the side wall there is a brass tablet dedicated to the memory of Gabor Sztehlo, a Lutheran minister, who saved the lives of almost two thousand persecuted children during World War II.